The dedication of the new church of St. Patrick's took place on Sunday, September 8th 1918. It was a very solemn affair with three Bishops; the Bishops of Clogher, Achonry and Killala assisting the Archbishop of Tuma, Dr. Gillmartin. It is said that over 100 priests were in attendance. After the ceremony some 250 clerical and lay dignitaries enjoyed refreshments in the neighbouring Convent. Fourteen months earlier on August 15th, 1917, the church bell was blessed by Archbishop Higgins, Dr. Gilmartin's predecessor at an equally formal and ceremonial occasion. On that occasion tea was served on the flat roofs of the church!
Health and safety concerns not withstanding we can only imagine from this distance in time the excitement and sheer pride which the opening of the new parish church in Newport engendered.
We are proud of our magnificent church. One hundred years later and our parish church still holds a central place at the heart of our community. In terms of structure, very little has changed yet far from being a museum piece or a tourist attraction, it is our place of worship; the place we gather as a community week in / week out to celebrate and give thanks for God's presence amongst us.
This book, penned to mark the centenary of the Parish Church, was brought together by the Newport Centenary History Committee and it is a wonderful work of local parish history. It contains many articles and photographs, presented in a beautiful hardback book.
St Patrick's Church, Newport 1918-2018 - A celebration of Burrishoole Parish.
- Publisher: St Patrick's Church, Newport.
- Availability: In Stock