The Ha'penny Bridge is one of the most well known symbols of Dublin. It opened on 19 May 1816 and it was the very first dedicated footbridge over the Liffey river. Designed by Coalbrookdale in Shropshire, it was also the first iron bridge in Ireland and one of very few in the world at that time. Ha'penny Bridge was initially named after the first Duke of Wellington a Dublin-born victor of the Battle of Waterloo. It wasn't long before it received the nickname that we're all familiar with today. The bridge replaced the Liffey ferry that charged passengers half-penny to cross, but that fee became a toll for pedestrians crossing the bridge. The toll was in place until 1919. The Ha'penny Bridge was restored in 2001 and celebrated its 200th anniversary in 2016.
Ha'Penny Bridge, Dublin: Spanning the Liffey for 200 Years
- Product Code: Michael English
- Availability: In Stock